Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Not So Wordless Wednesday - Day of Doctors

Today was a long day of doctors and nurses at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital for us.  We started the day by getting up at 5:45 a.m., leaving my parent's house at 6:15 a.m., arriving at the heart clinic at 7:40 a.m....and then we waited a few minutes:

Bean was still in her jammies and she actually did much better today than her last few appointments.  She hardly cried at all upon arrival to the hospital (a few whines of "no hospital" was about it) and she let herself be weighed (26.4 lbs.) and measured (34.5 in.) and pulse oxed and blood pressured with minimal complaint!  She was even good for the echo and although she did not want the nurse or doctor to "listen to heart," she offered up her ears happily for a viewing and finally allowed them to look in her mouth (for a very short time) and use the stethoscope to listen to her heart and lungs.  I was very happy with how things went for the heart clinic appointment.  Everything looked good other than her prograf level being a little low, so we've gone up on the dosage and we'll check it again in a week or so.  But, all her numbers looked good.

We had a three and a half hour wait between the heart clinic appointment and the ENT appointment, so we went to breakfast at one of our favorite spots - Hobee's.  It was so good.  They brought Bean a little fruit "face" to start the meal (I should have taken a picture, but didn't think of it), with banana and grape eyes, a strawberry nose, whipped cream cheeks and a cantelope mouth.  Bean ate it happily and had some toast as well.  Both Jason and I enjoyed their famous Blueberry Coffee Cake with our breakfasts and left happily full.  We walked around the shopping area once and then got back in the car to see if Bean would go to sleep.  Unfortunately, she was pretty wide awake and really wanted to go to a park.  I remembered a park we had visited a couple of times with Bella when she was in the hospital and we headed over there.  We ended up playing there for about 40 minutes and it truly made Bean's day.  She learned how to climb...and climb she did:

She had to work hard at it because her legs are really far too short to function well on most playground climbing equipment, but she followed instructions, kept trying when things went wrong and she made it to the top a couple of times!  She is not scared of much, but is relatively safe-minded in that she stops when out of her league and will take help when she really needs it.  But, when Jason tried to help her before she really needed it, she responded, "No Daddy.  I strong enough to do it."  It was very cute.  When we left there, we still had about an hour to kill, so we went across to the mall, got some Starbucks and walked around there for about 30 minutes.  After that we headed over to ENT.

The ENT appointment was pretty easy.  They think her tonsils look fine, but with her snoring, mouth breathing and the anesthesiologist saying she had large adenoids, they think it warrants a sleep study.  So, we will have to go over for an overnight stay, with Bean hooked up to a bunch of monitors for the night.  I'm not sure how that will go, but we shall see.  They will monitor all of her activity - breathing, brain activity, and a bunch of other stuff while she sleeps and then decide if there is enough of an issue to warrant taking out her adenoids or if we can wait it out a bit longer.  She is breathing so much better at night now than she was 6-8 weeks ago that I feel a little ridiculous now, but she does still snore every once in a while and she is definitely a big mouth breather right now.

Bean slept all the way to my parents' house!  She was exhausted.  But, I am so happy with her behavior.  I am hoping that we have passed the point where she cries and cries when going to the doctor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on A Second Heart! I love to hear from readers and hope you will visit again!

And, Six Years Later - Marking the Good Times

Hello!  Long time no write on this blog.  I have always included a link to this blog on my email signature to keep people reading Bean...